Thursday, July 8, 2010

Photo of the Week (July 8th)

Here is our first Photo of the Week.  My wife took this picture a few weeks ago of my Grandma's Dahlia, it is a great photo.  I did some High Dynamic Range lighting to it and this is how it turned out.  On the right is the original.  I really like how it turned out.  It appears to me to be more of a drawing or painting then a photo.
So how did I do this?  Well, I opened my original file in Photoshop CS5 and did some simple levels adjustments (with layer adjustments).  Then I when I got those to look how I wanted, I did Image-Adjustments-HDR Toning (this is a new feature in CS5 for single images).  The menu comes up and I adjust the Detail slider to my liking (in this case I brought it almost all the way up).  I adjusted the Raidus and the strength (to make the edges stand out even more).
I really like playing with this feature, but a word of caution that it can get overdone and over used really easily. 
Let me know what you think in the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment