Monday, July 12, 2010

Bible Verse of the Week (July 12th)

From the NIV Bible (Read the full story Luke 10:25-37):
Jesus asked the expert who was a neighbor to the man that was beaten and robbed:
37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
      Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Heard a good sermon on this topic this weekend at church titled something like, the consequences of love. As a society, I feel we have tried to make love be something that we do when its easy, and not when it is hard.  I think it is a message we all could hear a little more.  I'm sure the Samaritan had places to go, things to do (just like the Priest and the Levite), but he chose to stop, and help the man out.  How many times do I walk by, and ignore whatever is going on?
Applying this to the book I've been reading (When Helping Hurts).  The Samaritan saw the man and was able to address the needs the man had.  The man didn't need help with development (schooling, or a job), he needed relief.  That is what was given to him by the Samaritan. He took him to the inn, bandaged up his wounds, and paid the innkeeper to look after him.  This wasn't quick, it was costly, both in time and money.  The Samaritan was the hands and feet of Jesus to this man.  Now its our turn.
I am good at loving when it doesn't cost me anything, but is that really love?  When its hard to love someone or inconvenient, will I choose to love them, or walk by? Love so often asks more of me than I want to give.
How am I being a neighbor to those around me?  What are we the church called to do?  Who do I need to do a better job loving?

No comments:

Post a Comment