Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gold

According to this link gold continues to rise in price as people move money out of the stock market and into gold.  I just don't understand.  Gold just closed a day at its highest price ever and people continue to poor money into gold.  If something is at its highest price ever, it really only has one direction to go in the long run...Down. 

I understand that gold is a security for many people and that if the financial systems collapse and our dollar becomes worthless gold will probably still have value.  However if I am looking for a deal and a long term investment Gold is not where I would be putting my money, because gold is over valued (read bubble) right now.  It may continue to go up for a little while here, but as soon as times become a little less strenuous, gold will go down in value. 

Stocks however, are really cheap right now, and don't cost very much.  There is some short term risk that they will go down, but (again as long as things stabilize here in the near future) long term they are at a bargain price, and who doesn't like a bargain. 

It's easy to see why people lose a lot of money playing this game.  Lots of people got out of stocks after 2008 when everything came tumbling down (so they lost a bunch of money). Then they put the money into Gold which is near a record high, and they will lose a bunch of money when it goes down.

The concept is to buy low sell high, not the other way around.  Right now stocks are low, gold is high, I wonder where I should be investing...

Just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment