Monday, September 27, 2010

Fast Glass

So, I don't think I have any pictures to include in this post. But I will find a time to take some pictures to demonstrate this.

I think I have spoiled myself by buying the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 mk2.  It is such a great lens that it has spoiled me.  Because the aperture is so large it allows me to take great indoor pictures without using the flash (in a moderately lit room.  This week, I took my kit lens (18-55mm F3.5-5.6) to work, because we were going to the farm and I wanted to be able to take some wide angle pictures.  However, it turned out to be a fairly dark overcast day, and when we took a hay ride with the kids, we sat in a covered wagon (it was sprinkling rain) this made it harder to take pictures with my kit lens, because I had to use a higher iso setting (which caused some noise to appear in my photos).  I even have some pictures from the day, were I took a picture at f4, and then zoomed in (so my F value went to 5.6) and the amount of light in the pictures is drastically different.  I like to shoot at a constant shutter speed, so I know that the photos won't be blurry (normally 1/100 or 1/80s).  So, basically I wish I would have taken my 50mm, so that I would have been able to take sharper pictures all morning.
Now here is the spoiled part, after seeing how drastically different they are, I want to always have fast glass (lowest f value where 1.8>2.8>4>5.6).  However, the faster glass is always more expensive, so that sucks, because it will mean more money out of my pocket when I buy a telephoto zoom lens (hopefully someday I will get it).

2 comments:

  1. Gee wiz, you lost me at fast glass... ha!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to take some pictures to illustrate what I mean. I think then it will be a little more obvious.

    ReplyDelete