Saturday, October 2, 2010

TV in America

Here is an interesting piece about how cutting the TV can be good for you.

While I don't think this article is extremely well written, the points are hard to miss.  The article claims that you can be healthier and wealthier by not having cable or satellite. Not only do people save money by not having a monthly bill, but also because they (and their kids) want less toys/items that they see during commercial.  You have more time to do things you want and you can get more sleep (which is part of the healthier part).

I lived with out TV for 3 years while serving in a ministry house in Shoreline.  And since getting married (and the national move to digital tv) left me with no broadcast signal, we have chosen to live with out cable (which both of us did all through growing up).  We watch the occasional TV show (through hulu), but it is on our time frame, not the TV stations, and we have netflix for the night we want to watch a movie. 

I will not claim to never let my kids watch TV, I have realized and heard of enough other parents trying that, but I was limited in my TV watching/computer playing as a kid and I turned out okay (I think so anyway). 

I do think people should try to turn off the TV 1 week a month or something, just to try it and see how it effects their life.  I think it ruined my life. I have a hard time sitting and watching most any sport (on TV) the whole way through with out feeling like I am wasting my time. (since the end of most games is either the only part necessary to watch (its a close game) or its a blow out and there is no point in watching the end).  That being said, I enjoy having a game on if I am doing something like cooking or editing photos, it just hard to have it on and read at the same time. 

I guess I just thought it pretty cool that there are people in society who try this. So, go do something with the people in your life today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment