Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Beer and Burgundy

I think that this quote was one of the best in a weekend full of great quotes.
"We should thank God for beer and burgundy by not drinking too much of them." - G.K. Chesterton.
Earl Palmer mentioned this quote, while talking about how to get the same 'high' one has to have more of the indulgence every time.  Eventually, if it is not contained it will consume the person.  There is a line that gets crossed from enjoying alcohol to becoming an alcoholic.  There is a similar line in all things in life.   There is a need for moderation in our life for all that we do, so that it doesn't consume us (C.S. Lewis calls this Temperance in Mere Christianity).  The problem with moderation is that everything in our society tells us to have more.  TV/movies are always pushing the boundaries.  Everything wants more and more of my life, and it is only my responsibility to stop pushing the boundaries.  What are some things in my life that I let control me?  What are some things that could control me?  Have I given them over to God? 

Here are some more pictures from this weekend (Deb took all of these).
The other ferry passes within a stones throw of this sailboat.


I got to drive the ferry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment