Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sixpence

Philippians 4: 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 

Today I am thankful for my family who has been so important in my life and development.  They have blessed me so much and I thank God for the great family I have been given.

On Thanksgiving Day we acknowledge our dependence.  ~William Jennings Bryan

This quote goes along with what we have been reading in my Mere Christianity study, that we need to acknowledge our bankruptcy to God.  That anything we give back to God was already his, and that we can't give him anything he hasn't already given us.  

Lewis talks about the story of a dad giving his daughter a sixpence, because she wanted to buy him a gift.  When he receives the gift he is over joyed, but only a fool would think the dad is sixpence richer. Thus the quote, sixpence none the richer.  

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your thought-provoking comments and scripture lessons in your blog. Life-application at its best!

    ReplyDelete