Friday, November 12, 2010

Pretzels

Sorry no picture with this recipe, I had a hard time rolling the dough out, and only now read the footnote that says to roll each out a little bit, then go back through and roll them out the rest of the way. So my pretzels don't look very picture worthy.  I guess I didn't realize how hard it would be to roll out dough (its not like Playdough, who knew?).  Anyway, these turned out ok, not as good as what I remember Costco having at the deli there. 


Ingredients:
1 1/3 C Warm water
2T oil
1T Honey
1.5 C Whole Wheat Flour
1.5 C All Purpose Flour
1t salt
1 packet yeast (2 1/4 t)
Optional: 2 T Flaxseed and 2T Wheat Germ

1 Egg White
Salt to top


Oven: 400 degrees

I made a dough out of the top list of ingredients and let it rise for an hour (I used my bread maker on dough setting).  I then split it into 6 pieces (the original recipe called for 12 pieces, but I couldn't get that many out of it).  I rolled each piece out (18 inches long) and folded it around like a pretzel and placed them on a greased cookie sheet.  Make them as skinny as you can, mine really rose in the oven while cooking.  I then spread the egg white over the top of them and salted them.  Then I put them into the oven. 

Next time I may try a recipe where you boil them first, but I didn't get a chance to do that yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment