Wednesday, August 11, 2010

5 Tips on Portraits

I get to do photo day at my work (a daycare) and am super excited. I have been reading lots about portraits, and how to take good portraits.  This website has become my favorite resource for photography.  They have articles about taking the portraits, and they have a space for 'critique my shot,' where users can post a shot and have it critiqued.  I love reading the critiques and seeing the pictures.  Here is a short summary of what I have learned (of course, rules are meant to be broken, so these aren't set it stone).
  1. Morning light is good.  Once the sun gets to far up, the light becomes harsh and unpleasant.  Shoot in the shade if possible to keep nice even lighting
  2. Fill the frame.  If I am doing head shots or shoulders and head, fill the frame, however, make sure to get their whole head in the frame, and don't cut them out. 
  3. Clear the background of any objects that will distract from the picture.  It's not one of the first things I would look at, but sometimes a branch or something will appear to 'stick' out from the person, move it or yourself so it isn't in the way.  
  4. Posing, if it bends, bend it.   So elbows, knees should be bent (but each one doing something different. This gives the picture a little more natural look to it.  
  5. Shoot from their level.  If shooting kids, get down at their level, shoot from just above eyes (for women) and just below the eyes (for men).  Also, focus on the eyes, as they are generally what attracts our attention to someones face.  
  6.  
    I hope to be able to post some examples, I just need to get permission from the parents at work.  I think I am going to wait and see how my school photo day goes (since I am the photographer) and will ask them when we are looking at proofs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment