Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Death and Taxes

Ever wonder what exactly how your federal taxes get spent.  Here is an interesting and informative display on government spending.
Some interesting things to note:
Defense and Security Spending 63%.  All Other spending 37%.
More money is spent on Veteran's affairs (~57Bil) than on the Department of Education (~50Bil).
EDIT: not trying to make a point with these numbers, just trying to inform people of where their tax dollars go.    




http://www.deathandtaxesposter.com/

2 comments:

  1. Not sure of the point you're making. Are you saying we spend too much on defense and not enough on education?

    Defense is the fourth item listed in the Preamble of the Constitution -- it didn't even get a subsection because it was understood as a major reason for even establishing a government.

    Education is not covered in the Constitution -- it is a state issue, funded by state and local taxes. There are a great many who say the Department of Education should be eliminated with a huge ($50B) savings to the US economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I wasn't really trying to make a point about where the spending should be happening. I mean, I have my own opinions, but I'm trying to keep my own politics out of the blog as much as I can.
    I do think Defense spending is important and has its place. And I agree and acknowledge that most education funding is local or state level, so the direct comparison doesn't work. Just was trying to show people some examples.

    ReplyDelete