Monday, October 4, 2010

Compounding Impact

John 15 
16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

I feel like a lot of people in my life have been talking about making an impact in those around you.  I heard a sermon (you can watch it at the bottom of this post if you want.  The beginning is really good, toward the end he talks about how the congregation can help at their local church, but really I think it could have been how can you let God use you in all the situations you are in) the other week on  how what we do compounds over the years.  How saving that one life, loving that one person compounds and over time becomes a really big deal.  My professor was talking about having an impact in our world. So I mean that I feel like God is pushing this on me, how am I making an impact? What does that look like as I get ready to graduate college in 6 months?  What does that look like in my marriage?  What does that mean for my career?

I don't know if this story is true or not, but I heard it several years ago from my dad.  There was a traveling preacher back a few decades that went from town to town.  He stopped in this one town and preached and only one boy came up to be saved.  This preacher was disappointed, in this whole town he had only reached one boy (who happened to be named Billy Graham).  This young boy that was the only one reached became one of the most widely known and influential Christians of his generation. It's easy for me I think to get caught up in the numbers, but its not really about me.  In fact, if I try to do it alone, I am sure to be a failure.  It is only if I remain part of the vine will I be able to find success.   I may only be called to plant seeds, or water the seeds, or I may be called to do it all in someones life. I am willing to do whatever is asked of me to make "God's Kingdom come, on earth as it is in Heaven" a reality?
I think it is important to us as Christian's to stop and evaluate ourselves.  To step back from the routine and see, "am I trying to be fruitful, or am I so caught up in my everyday tasks that I miss opportunities to share of God's great love?"  So go and be fruitful this week.




Doing Good For Dummies: Write Your Name In The Book! from Lake Samm on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I read that story in Billy Graham's biography. There is a similar story about Charles Spurgeon's conversion. A speaker could not go to church because of bad weather. Someone read Luther's commentary on Romans. Spurgeon went to the church because of bad weather. He heard the message and became a Christian. There were only 8 people at church that day and he was the only one saved.He was one of the greatest preachers of all time. (From Larry)

    ReplyDelete